New Counter 29 December 2011

Monday, July 14, 2014

Fast Day 10 and a way forward....



Day 10 of the fast and feeling a little jaded in the morning, (by evening I am back feeling great again). Have consumed two very small prawns and a few leaves in the business lounge prior to flight home (served in shot glasses so not a lot)‎. Otherwise plan to continue the fast and do my treadmill session tomorrow and see how I go. 

Will then pursue (subject to Dr not entirely ruling it out) a ketogenic diet for a while and see whether that will enable me to continue to exercise relatively freely. Could be an exciting couple of weeks and I will try and blog it as this feels quite significant. ‎

From my experience in the last few days it seems possible, under the right conditions, to exercise "normally" without the need to establish second wind. My assumption is, after discussion with Andrew Wakelin,  that Ketosis is the key. That as my body is operating already using energy from fat supplies, due to the fast, when I exercise it continues to do so. The inability to access glycogen then becomes an irrelevance, unless exercise becomes anearobic, which remains beyond reach. 

How far "normally" extends and wheter a ketogenic diet allows this to be sustainable are my two key questions. Clearly a perpetual fast is not the answer!

No comments: