New Counter 29 December 2011

Monday, June 15, 2020

My Walk Over Wales 10 year anniversary challenge

Had I known the full scale of the Walk Over Wales challenge in 2010 it's quite possible I would not have embarked upon it, but 10 years, and one month, ago today, armed with some dodgy boots, a backpack and some Tanglin Rugby Club shorts I did, part way through. Constant rain, the preponderance of large hills and the distance we walked each day over wild terrain made it a real stretch but thanks to those I walked with, Andrew, Stacey, Dan and Charlie, and those who provided constant support, and great food, Sally mainly, along the way, it was a tremendous and unforgettable experience. We had talked about a reprise for the 10 year anniversary but Covid has terminated any potential for a group walk.

 

Instead I have decided to embark on a solo journey to try and achieve a personal goal that I think will stretch me. Namely by 2nd August, 10 years on from our finishing the walk in Cardiff, to jog for 50 minutes and achieve at least 80% of my lifetime personal best distance in that time.

 

For many people that might not be such a challenge for me it will require me to do something I have only been able to do for a very brief period ever. Until the age of 52 I had never been able to jog more than a couple of hundred yards without stopping. Finding ketosis through fasting led me to be able to do so and from 2014 to 2016, when, focused and followed a ketogenic diet, jogging was possible. The last 4 years have seen a deterioration  in my activity, substantial weight gain and too many carbs coming back into my diet. For me to be able to achieve the goal I'll need to exercise daily and improve my fitness substantially and, to enable that, I will have to ditch the carbs and get back on the keto wagon. If I can do both those things then I have a chance......

 

My personal best treadmill session (I have recorded my sessions in an excel spreadsheet for many years as a source of encouragement and to track progress) was on 21st September 2016. I managed 9.1kmph average speed over 50 minutes, that’s it a lifetime best. Earlier this year I hopped back on the treadmill determined to shed some excess weight that first session I managed an average pace of 5.6kmph, and found that a struggle. That’s how deconditioned I have become.

 

If I achieve my goal I will donate 500 quid to IamGSD and, if I make sufficient progress, I’ll open a JustGiving page. For now though all I ask is for your encouragement and perhaps for people to set their own goals, something to achieve by August 2nd. You can follow my progress in a number of ways:

 

Exercise: Strava
https://www.strava.com/athletes/60100267

 

I would not call myself an athlete by any means BTW.

 

Diet: MyFitnessPal: andyww1

& Instagram:  mcardle.keto

 

 

And of course here where from today I’ll be blogging, and will try to do so daily.


No comments: