New Counter 29 December 2011

Tuesday, November 23, 2021

Consistency is the key- perhaps even more so than diet

As I approach the end of 2021 I am delighted that I challenged myself at its beginning to complete 365 50 minute treadmill sessions in the year. While I have some catching up to do to reach that target I have learnt a lot and feel as fit, if not fitter than I ever have. 

Yesterday I managed 3 sessions in the day and was able to start the first at 7.2kmph and easily completed 6.3km in 50 minutes. What is becoming clear is that regular exercise makes all the difference. I started 2021 with a session of of 3.46km. My best year to date has been 7.51km in 50 minutes, which is not far short of a lifetime best (7.64km set in 2016),  which is now my next target before I pass 60.....

At the beginning of the year I was very conscious about what I ate and I avoided carbs. More recently I have found that unless I eat lots of carbs I am able to exercise at a pretty consistent high level irrespective of diet. I still exercise mostly in the morning, and often fasted from the night before, but what I eat in the evening seems now to have little impact. November has been my best month so far, 35 sessions average 6.64km) after getting back to regular sessions in October (49 sessions average 6.1km). I am lucky in that I am retired and so have the time to focus on exercise and making it a priority. In truth I wish I had done this years ago! Dr Slonim told me in 2006 that regular exercise, following his "prescription", was needed. I semi complied but have not been as consistent as I need to be until this year.

I will continue until I reach my 2021 target, 53 sessions to go with 38 days left of the year. In 2022 I plan to start the year on a mission to set a new lifetime best. To do that I think I will need to be stricter with diet and get deeper into ketosis, as I was when the previous best was set. With 365 sessions behind me I think I'll have a very good chance to pass that lifetime best before I hit 60 in February. Something that very few people would have the opportunity to achieve. 

YTD Summary data

Session total: 312 Distance covered 1,705km Average speed 6.66kmph Average distance per session 5.46km


No comments: