New Counter 29 December 2011

Tuesday, July 27, 2021

26 miles is a long way

 8 hours walking alongside the Thames on the hottest day of the year, to that point, without M impacting me was a strong endorsement of the benefits of regular and consistent exercise. At the beginning of the year my purpose in setting a 365 treadmill session goal was somewhat nebulous, trying to use the time provided by Covid to some positive effect. Regular long dog walks with a mate helped prepare for this specific challenge, while having lived, and walked, in Singapore, the heat was less of an issue for me than most. It is now clear to me though that to be able to function at my best, whether walking with friends, or continuing to play cricket the treadmill sessions are a vital part of daily life henceforth. 

I have only done one session since the walk, circumstance and a short holiday the cause, but 198 sessions year to date mean I am currently 10 sessions behind my target. Starting on Saturday I will look to close that gap so I am back on track by the end of August. 

The sessions mean I am able, almost for the 1st time, to play cricket, which has always been a physical challenge, without thinking much at all about M, that for me is a huge benefit and one which I will not let go readily. While the thought of walking 26 miles did not concern me and was a hugely enjoyable experience, chatting and walking with those I met along the way. For someone who used to avoid walking with anyone that's another large tick in the plus column.

Key for me is always to start  each session at a comfortable pace and build slowly. Usually I exercise on an empty stomach after coffee. Second session of the day is usually much better than the first. Pushing just enough leads to progress, gain without pain, which is why I like the controlled environment of the treadmill.

No comments: