New Counter 29 December 2011

Saturday, January 27, 2007

Dr Slonim- a great help

Based in New York Dr Slonim is a world expert on the disease and takes the time to explain to patients what it is and what they should do to guard against deterioration. For me he recommended the following, (I would emphasise though that each programme is tailored to the individual after a session being closely monitored on his treadmill) :

  • a daily (every day!!) 45 minute session on the treadmill. The first ten minutes at a snails pace of 1.6km per hour (that gets some looks in hotel gyms across Asia). Followed by 0.3km per hour increases in speed every 2 minutes. At 30 minutes to raise the incline to 2% and then 3% and finally 4% at five minute intervals.
  • arm exercises with a large rubber band-which I admit I have lost
  • a diet high in protein and low in carbohydrate to promote muscle regeneration
  • a supplement of alanene - small dose regularly

The idea of the exercise is to gradually get going and reach the stage where your body is using the energy within the blood rather than seeking to take it from glycogen stored in muscles. I must confess I do not manage every day though I am trying hard in 2007!!

Since seeing Dr Slonim I understand my disease more fully and have certainly not deteriorated, while he has worked wonders with many other patients.

His clinic is in New York - details as follows:

Center for Metabolic Disorders

Telephone: 516 616 0074

Facsimile: 516 616 9388

No comments: