New Counter 29 December 2011

Thursday, July 15, 2010

Saved by Kendall mint cake

Feel like a proper hill walker today as in my backpack I have a new waterproof backpack cover, rather than the ripped up plastic career bag I had yesterday.

Brother Paul, who kindly drove me to Wales and his children Alice and Henry left this morning for the long drive back to Winchester having walked with us (A and H in bin bag rain jackets) yesterday.

Awake to another windy, wet, and murky Welsh day so pleased we got rid of a long steep climb yesterday evening. A long day ahead though and will try and resist finishing with an ale today.

A tough start saw us lose our way, have to retrace and then slog along a barely visble track as cloud descended all around us. Very pretty slate quarry at the centre of our route, seeing it once was good , twice perhaps excessive.

Then it was a long hard slog uphill in a bog of a path. Half way up I became a little light headed. Thankfully Stacey had some KMC, which got me going again and gave me a good lesson. This is no walk in the park and I need to prepare accordingly and get emergency provisions in the bag from now on.

The bog was to get much worse later in the day. Did someone say drought?

This was a long day and we were all delighted to get to Machynlleth 7 hours after we started, where I celebrated with a small doner delighted in the knowledge that tomorrow is a rest day!!
Sent from my BlackBerry Wireless Handheld

No comments: